This applies to W2P, too. For instance, Electronic Imaging has special software that lets our customers design their own labels, get a prepress preview (proof) and then submit a label order for shipment within 24 hours. Label designs all work with easy templates allowing you to pick fonts, colors, barcodes and even sequential numbering.
The W2P concept has become very popular for creating marketing materials like postcard mailers or business cards where photos and layouts in PDF format can be uploaded. It is template-based and typically used in short-run digital printing processes. Usually structured around a limited number of media sizes and materials to make the process move smoothly and fast, the best part of W2P is that you do not need to have any understanding about label design and layout. You can get personalized media and the W2P software does it all!
EIM went with W2P in order to eliminate a lot of steps between our order-entry (including credit card processing), proofing, manufacturing and shipping departments. It also saves confusion if customers have multiple facilities where more than one person does the ordering. Once we have label designed, it becomes a permanent record for all future orders.
Right now we offer a variety of Web2Print label options right on our Web Store. As demand develops, we hope to add more:
• Asset Labels: These are our most popular W2P product as Asset Labels are easy to design and come in five (5) different materials, with and without over lamination, printed with our without barcodes, your choice of five (5) different fonts and four (4) colors for quick identification.
• Automotive Labels: When you need a large 3.00” x 5.00” label for really tough conditions, our rugged EnduraLabels with a high performance adhesive meet the challenge. You can add up to six (6) lines of text, a barcode with a color band.
• General Barcode Labels: If you are only looking for labels with just barcodes, we offer eight (8) label sizes in four (4) different material choices in paper, plastic and polyester.
• Inventory Labels: For sorting out your inventory, we offer paper labels in three (3) different sizes, nine (9) different layouts and up to eleven (11) colors.
• Laboratory Labels for Tubes and Vials: Chemical resistant 2.00” x 1.00” polyester labels fit most tubes or vials and come with a barcode and your choice of color bar.
• Laboratory Labels for Slides: These 0.98” x 0.92” chemical resistant XyResist® polyester labels are perfect for glass or plastic slides. You can add color-coding, barcodes and up to two lines of text with three (3) different layout choices.
• Rating and Nameplates: Two different sizes of durable white polyester can be designed with sequential numbers and multiple lines of text in your choice of 8 background colors.
• Retro Reflective Labels: For long-distance barcode scanning, we offer two (2) label sizes with three (3) different layouts including color bars and directional arrows.
• UPC and EAN ISBN Labels: Two (2) sizes of sheet form paper labels come printed with either UPC-A or Bookland /EAN ISBN barcodes and product identification.
Will W2P ultimately replace humans? Not likely, but it sure can be help speed up printing processes. There will always be the need for custom orders that need hand-holding and personal intervention to make sure details are correctly identified. However, EIM and other W2P vendors will be looking to provide faster ways to enter orders for other products with slightly more complex design issues.